Volunteer Coordinator - San Jose, CA
Seeks an enthusiastic and results-oriented Volunteer Coordinator - San Jose, CA to assist with our events, database entry, and volunteer engagement efforts. Reporting to the Associate Director of Operations, the Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for coordinating volunteer programs, including the mentor program, the tutoring program, guest speaker series, and additional volunteer opportunities and events that arise throughout the year. Volunteers play a key role at Year Up, providing added support and guidance for our students.
The Volunteer Coordinator will ensure that Year Up's volunteer needs are met and that all volunteers are trained, thanked, and tracked within our database. In doing so, s/he will create meaningful and dynamic experiences that benefit both volunteers and students. The ideal candidate possesses strong attention to detail, an ability to multitask, experience planning and executing events, and a desire to work on a dynamic and fast-paced team. You'll also be thoughtful, detail-oriented, and must exhibit impeccable follow-through. Successful candidates for this position will also be interested in developing strong relationship management skills and an ability to cultivate new partnerships.
The Volunteer Coordinator will also have the opportunity to interact with students as a mentor, group facilitator, and advocate, participating in building a positive educational environment.
- Coordinate logistics for events including mock interview workshops, networking events, volunteer mixers, and assist the Development team in the execution of semi-annual graduations
- Support the tracking of RSVP lists, registrations, and follow-up for volunteer events
- Assist in the creation and execution of the recruitment plan and necessary screening for all volunteers needed
- Coordinate volunteer orientations (for tutors, guest speakers, etc.)
- Maintain weekly tutoring and guest speaker communications for both staff and students
- Support day-to-day operations of the tutoring, mentoring, and guest speaker programs
- Communicate with volunteers to educate them about the Year Up program, ensure that they are properly thanked and keep them informed of future volunteering opportunities
- Track all volunteer activities within the Salesforce.com database
- Explore best practices from other Year Up sites for more deeply engaging our most active volunteers
- Prepare students for interacting with external volunteers and maximizing the experience
Mentor Program Coordination
- Assist in recruiting and screening mentors for each class cycle
- Ensure that all students are matched one-to-one with a supportive mentor
- Provide ongoing match support and mediate issues as they arise
- Plan and facilitate mentor trainings
- Collect feedback and recommend program changes as necessary to ensure the long-term success of the Mentor Program
- Assist in providing opportunities for mentors to build relationships with one another through Year Up sponsored events, furthering volunteer engagement and growing recruitment pipeline
Site Team/Learning Community Member
- Serve as an advisor/mentor for a small number of current students
- Join and sometimes facilitate weekly group sessions with students
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings
- 1+ year experience in the workforce preferred
- High school diploma/GED plus commitment to complete an Associate's degree
- Strong attention to detail and project management skills
- Strong interest in non-profit fundraising, external relations and events management (but no experience required)
- Eagerness/ability to identify challenges and implement solutions
- Highly organized and proactive, with the ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time and deliver within deadlines
- Strong customer service skills with excellent follow-up and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to represent Year Up well in the community, build relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and leverage those relationships to cultivate additional opportunities
- Experience working with Salesforce.com, a CRM, preferred
- Experience with event-planning preferred
- A passion for working with urban young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
- Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
- Benefits: Competitive package including 100% healthcare coverage, dental, and 401(k) match
- Vacation: Three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks after initial year
- Professional development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Year Up is an award-winning national 501(c)3 organization striving to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults ages 18-24 with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. Through a one-year intensive training program, these young adults complete a unique combination of rigorous, hands-on technical and professional skills training, college credit. and corporate internships. With an annual operating budget of $90 million, Year Up will serve over 2,700 students in 2015 nationwide.
Year Up takes three approaches to closing the Opportunity Divide. Our core sites are based on our founding program model – direct service programming where facilities, staff, infrastructure, academics, and all other aspects of the program are managed by Year Up staff. The Professional Training Corps (PTC) is a community college based model that provides an opportunity for students to engage in meaningful workforce training. In this model, students are dual-enrolled in the community college and Year Up; technical skills are taught by college faculty, while Year Up staff provide professional skills and other wrap-around services. Lastly , our Employer Based Solutions are created in collaboration with employer partners; custom solutions are developed to meet critical business needs and solve for skills gap challenges in the marketplace.
Consistently voted one of the Best NonProfits to Work For by the NonProfit Times, Year Up is a rewarding place to work. Our staff is passionate, supportive, mission-driven, and committed to positive change and continuous learning. We set high standards for both ourselves and our students, and live by a set of core values that reflect an unshakable belief in the talent and full potential of our young adults. The work we do is life-changing, and we know that our team is the greatest asset in achieving our mission.