Date of Event: Wednesday, October 2, 2019
Location of Event: Fremont, CA
Number of Persons Attended: Approximately 60
Organizer: Iftekhar Hai, Mush & Lisa
Contact Person: Syed Rizwan Ashraf
An important civic awareness & collaborative event occurred on Wednesday, October 2, 2019 in Fremont, led by Brothers Iftekhar Hai and Manzoor Ghouri, among many civic and religious organization members.
Key Objectives of the Event
- Engage in dialogues and civic participation with U.S. Congressman Ro Khanna who has been steadfast in standing by his principles of rejecting Hindutva extremism and embracing inclusion and pluralism. Honorable Ro Khanna supports Muslim communities and civic goals within the U.S. constitution. It is an ethical duty for Muslims to support Ro Khanna for his social, civic, and political position.
- Commit to participate and support IMRC (Indian Muslim Relief & Charities) in getting food, clothes, and medicine to Kashmiris. IMRC is having a Kashmir Benefit Dinner at Royal Palace on Saturday, October 26, 2019, Insha Allah! Location and Date/Time are below:
Kashmir Benefit Dinner
(by IMRC, Indian Muslim Relief Charities)
Royal Palace Banquet Hall
6058 Stevenson Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538
Saturday, October 26, 2019
6:00 pm to 10:00 pm PDT
Main Speakers for Indian Muslims and Kashmiris Support
- Dr. Nazeer Ahmed, Ph.D
- Brother Salim Mastan
- Brother Manzoor Ghouri
- Sister Moina Shaiq
- Brother Jamal Siddiqui
- Mirchi Restaurant
- Doosa Restaurant
- We celebrated the 150th birthday of Mahatma Gandhi with U.S. Congressman Ro Khanna, a champion of human rights, whose maternal grandfather, Amarnath Vidyalankar, was part of India's Independent movement, who worked with Lala Lajpat Rai, and spent years in the jail in the pursuit of human rights and freedom.
- We celebrated the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi because he was a Hindu, a Muslim, a Christian, all of the above. He was not a RSS follower. The India of Mahatma Gandhi is being destroyed by a few.
- Iftekhar Hai & Salim Mastan bhai said, “My appeal to the people of my area and is to understand that love is greater than hate and we should start loving. Here in this day and age and in America our kids are Desi’s we should keep it so they continue to love each other.”
Important points Supporting the Event’s Key Objectives
- History is being re-written by Hindu extremists (RSS) bringing Hindutva in the pluralism of Indian Society. Hindutva ("Hinduness") is the predominant form of Hindu nationalism in India. The term was popularized by Vinayak Damodar Savarkar in 1923. It is championed by the Hindu nationalist volunteer organization Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) and Hindu Sena. The Hindutva movement has been described as "almost fascist in the classical sense", adhering to a disputed concept of homogenized majority and cultural hegemony.1 This movement has taken extreme shape and footing in the U.S. and requires Muslim Community to be vigilant and brings awareness of this Hindu extremism in the mainstream U.S. Society.
- U.S. Congressman Ro Khanna has stood by the core U.S. constitution principles. He rejected Hindutva extremism and stood by inclusion, pluralism, harmony and respecting all faith. However, he is facing significant attacks from the Hindu extremists due to his social, civic, and political position.
- Sister Moina Shaiq urged participants to support our representative Ro Khanna and commit to the DNC (Democratic National Committee) chapter.
1 Wikipedia on “Hindutva” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindutva
Key Discussions with U.S. Congressman Ro Khanna
- Kashmir: Crisis situation in Kashmir and massive impact on the Muslim Communities across the world. Efforts and congress bill to bring relief in Kashmir.
- Kashmir: Efforts of IMRC to providing food, clothes, and medicine to Kashmiris in the time of humanity crisis.
- U.S.: Current U.S. political landscape where Ro Khanna is contributing with solution bills helping constituents.
- U.S.: Healthcare & Elder care solutions proposed by Ro Khanna.
- U.S.: Continual support of education and initiate free education in colleges and universities, proposed by Ro Khanna.
- Support: Sister Moina Shaiq urged participants to support Ro Khana and DNC chapter, as well as engagement from Muslim Communities.
- Q&A: How can we support & help our Congressman Ro Khanna?
We covered key topics ranging from U.S. Social & Civic issues then expanded to Indian Muslim critical issues with good understanding and alignment with Ro Khanna’s social, civic, and political position.
Event was Successful, Alhamdulillah!
- Ro Khanna was giving proper respect and appreciation along with our Muslim community’s support and commitment.
- Key community organization members participated the event with passionate discussions.
- Sponsors (Jamal Siddiqui, Mirchi Restaurant, and Doosa Restaurant) delivered food, provided venue, audio/video and event coordination which contributed to the event’s successes.
Able Community is Leading the Marketing, Media, Promotion, and Analytics efforts post-Event!
Able Community is leading the Marketing, Media, Promotion and Analytics for engaging our community after this event. Able Community will provide a marketing summary of promotion activities, highlighting successes and next steps to Brother Iftekhar Hai. Areas to address in a post-event checklist include:
- Follow-up on post-event checklist and marketing plan for our community engagement and civic collaboration.
- Follow-up with event’s attendee and engage them in the Kashmiri civic actions and fund raising that will be organized by IMRC on Saturday, October 26, 2019.
- Able Community has developed this as a dedicated webpage for this event.
- Able Community will lead social media engagement by:
- promoting the Kashmir Benefit Dinner, organized by IMRC on Saturday, October 26, 2019, and
- promoting Indian Muslims crisis awareness, civic, and social programs throughout the year.
- Able Community will develop promotional activities and marketing: Use analytics to support decision makings.
- Able Community will offer marketing budget and expenditures, etc.
Conclusion and Recommendations
Alhamdulillah, this was a very successful event, MashaAllah!
The energy to listen, share ideas, learn from each other and collaborate for our civic engagement is the step in the right direction. We need to continue this energy to engage our community members in a practical manner.
This event has provided important ideas, guidance, and key points to assess and follow-up for wider collaboration in Indian Muslims Relief and Kashmiri Crisis Relief. Allahu Akbar!
Additional Good News regarding Kashmir, InshaAllah!
An upcoming Congressional Hearing on 22-Oct-2019, InshaAllah!
Please refer to the Press Release on 30-Sep-2019, from Congressman Brad Sherman (Chairman of the House Subcommittee on Asia), titled "Asia Subcommittee to Hold a Hearing on Human Rights in South Asia on October 22nd".
Let's join the Kashmiri American families and advocates to connect with Brad Sherman’s office and offer testimonials, InshaAllah!